Sunday, August 16, 2009

Getting the work done

I have finally found some wonderful people to help me with Tombstone Transcription data entry. Over the eight years that we have been collecting data, I have been the only one to enter data into the computer.

About six months ago, a wonderful lady by the name of Rachel Rumschlag was introduced to me and she worked long and hard to create a database for Tombstone. We have so many names that we were running out of space on Excel spreadsheets. Now we have a wonderful database that I can get all our cemeteries merged into. It takes a bit of work to move them from a spreadsheet into the database, but will be worth it in the end. We will now be able to search for names alphabetically and not search through 100's of cemeteries one at a time.

I have also met a fantastic group of people who are offering to help enter this data. One of them is Shirley Ash. At this point (August 2009) we have over 100 notebooks full of information that need to be added. I did a mass training Saturday (August 15) and 8 people signed up and attended. I also trained 3 additional ladies that want to help. Hopefully, these 11 people will take notebooks home and enter the data. We should be able to get through all the notebooks in about 6 months.

After they send the information to me it still takes awhile to get it ready to upload to the internet and merge into the database. But this has to be alot quicker than me entering all the data myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment