Friday, August 28, 2009

Terrific people

We have met today (August 28) for the fourth time this month. We are currently working at the New Mexico Special Collections library for the past 3 months. It is way too hot to be out working on the cemetery grounds, so we are transcribing data from old, old records at this special library. Now this may sound boring, writing about all these deceased people, but the group of people that work with me make it exciting. And we make those deceased people come alive!

First of all, I want to thank my patient husband Rich who has worked with us since his retirement in late 2007. He doesn't like writing ad nauseum in notebooks or reading about all these 'old' folks that died, but he hangs in there. His hand may cramp, his rear get tired of sitting on the hard chairs, or get just bored, but he never complains - or quits! The fact that chocolates and candy are used for bribery each time help some too.

Another wonderful worker is Wink. He has been with my group since 2001! Yes, from day one he has stuck with me. He is pretty awesome too. Although he has another life (unlike me) he shows up all the time. He, too, writes tirelessly and puts up with our silly jokes and comments. But he enjoys the chocolates too. And he is a rare breed (kind of like me) in that he loves searching out new cemeteries. He and I have the National Geographic Topo maps on our computers and we are always emailing back and forth that we found a new one! He even gets in his car and goes and finds some!

Betty came to me at the very beginning of 2001 also. What a faithful friend she has been. She is a wonderful volunteer all over this city. She is very busy with volunteering at the State Fair, any election in the city, the Balloon Fiesta and even the theater. But she has always found time for Tombstone. And she always has a smile and great encouraging words for me. She is a good friend.

Gloria came to me about 3 years ago. She has never balked at any assignment given to her. She quietly sits (or walks) and gets everything done. And she is a wonderful source of translating Spanish for us. None of us speaks Spanish and at times the inscriptions and names get too much. You would think by now we would remember that enero means died....or is it born!?

Barb has been with me so long that I don't remember when she started. She drives a long ways to come to our meetings whether it is the library or cemeteries. Such a happy lady that her smile always gives me a lift. And she never complains about the length of the book she needs to transcribe. She enjoys history of our state and loves to find strange deaths!

And my most recent victim, eh, volunteer, is Lee. He is an amazing man. He and his wife travel all around the world! He has just come back from Kenya and stunned us all with his pictures and tales of the trip. We are all living/traveling vicariously through him. A retired German professor, he is a joy to have in our group - and I know Wink and Rich welcome another male!

To everyone who has ever volunteered with this group, you have my eternal thanks. I know you have all put up with cold feet, freezing fingers, sun scorched necks, wet feet, sprinklers that suddenly come to life as well as holes that open up into the earth to trip you. I give you all a huge HUG and my love! God Bless you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment